Monday, January 9, 2012

What I made for dinner: The ultimate meatball sandwich

You may have seen or heard me talk about the awesome spaghetti bread we've made.  Well, the Rhode's White Bread Dough we used for that comes in a package with 3 loaves...what to do with the other loaves...

All-Out Italian Madness...first the spaghetti, then rolled pepperoni and mozzarella in a loaf, and now, Jonathan's idea for the Ultimate Meatball Sandwich.  Such an easy weeknight meal and super yummy!


You will need...
1 loaf of Rhode's White Bread Dough (at room temp)
Meatballs (we used HEB's fully cooked Italian Style, 16oz.)
Your favorite Marinara (we used Bertolli since it was free with the meatballs)
1 egg white
Mozzarella
Parmesan and whatever other seasoning you like (I used oregano and Italian seasoning)

Step 1 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll your dough flat on a greased cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap.  Let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Step 2 - Prepare your  meatballs.  You can make homemade, but I'm a lazy part-Italian.  We used the fully cooked kind, and they were delicious.  (I dabbed the excess grease off of them before mixing them with the sauce.)

Step - 3 - Mix your meatballs with the marinara and spread it in the middle of your bread dough.  Top with cheese.

Step 4 - Fold your dough over to make a giant stuffed envelope.  Brush with an egg white and top with Parmesan and seasoning.

Step 5 - Pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until all of the bread is completely baked.





Slice it up, and enjoy!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Instead of egg white, could you lightly brush the top with olive oil? Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Tommie Sue -
      I'm not sure. I haven't been cooking that long and don't have much experience with baking bread or olive oil. I may try that next time. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. I tried it last night. It was a crisp golden brown. Also, I baked it on a stone (Pampered Chef) instead of a cookie sheet. My only problem? I didn't get any. I baked it for Elric to take to work. I asked him to bring me a piece if there was any left. He called me 2 hours after leaving and said, "It was really GOOD!!!"

      Delete