Saturday, January 7, 2012

Shop Your Closet

Jonathan and I have started to look around at new places to live and have realized moving is really expensive.  So, for the next few months, we are going to save, save, save!  This means no more shopping...for the most part. :(  But, I have experience not being able to shop, so I have some techniques that can help fill the void.

If you want home decor, it's easy to just make a craft, given you already have some supplies laying around the house.  (No shopping for that either... The next few craft posts will be done with things that are either in my craft basket or laying around the house.)

But, unless you know how to make your own clothes (I do not), you have to be creative with what you already own.  My solution - Shop Your Closet.  In order to successfully shop your closet, you must be able to see everything in your closet.  Therefore, organizing and shopping go hand in hand.  (Don't worry - once your closet is successfully organized, you can shop your closet as often as you want without organizing.)

Note:  I realized during this challenge that our "cluttered" is not the average person's "cluttered."  So, to show the full effect, I cluttered up our closet quite a bit.  :)




Step 1 - Purge.

When shopping/organizing, I find it's easier to start from scratch.  Take everything out.  If you're not up for a big challenge to start with, start smaller by only doing half (or whatever you feel comfortable with).  If your closet seemed cluttered or packed full, by emptying it, you can see and appreciate the space your home offers.  Even if you only have a closet 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep, its space your home is offering you, so take it!

Step 1.5 - Admire.

It's cheesy, but just admire the empty closet.  When I see an empty space, it makes me think about how I can use it more effectively.  I find that when some people move in, they don't move out of space until they are literally moving out.  By "moving out" of your closet for even a few minutes, you can see your closet it for not only what it is but also what it has the potential to be (like you did when you first moved in).  Yes, I'd like one of the closets you see at Ikea, but that's not going to happen right now.  Appreciate what you have.  You're much more likely to love your closet if you know what it has to offer you.

Step 2 - Examine.

Begin putting each piece back in your closet, but only one piece at a time.  You also need to admire your clothes.  Sometimes, I forget I have something because it's been stuffed in and overshadowed my other pieces.  Basically, repeat step 1.5 with your clothes.  Look at each piece, and ask yourself these questions.  If you answer "no," stop, and toss it in the "not my closet pile."

  • Do I like it?  (If no, is there anything else in my closet I could add to it to make me like it more?  i.e. necklace, cardigan, brooch, etc.)
  • Does it fit?  (If no, am I losing/gaining weight and will fit in it?  If no, do I plan on losing/gaining weight?)
  • Do I wear it?  (If no, is there anything else in my closet I could add to it to make me more likely to wear it?  i.e. necklace, cardigan, brooch, etc.)
Step 3 - Systemize.

Create a closet system that works for you.  If you wear flats every day and heels only sometimes, make the flats more accessible.  I change my closet up every month or so in order to wear more of my clothes.  I find that if I put things toward the back, I often forget they're there.  I sort my clothes and shoes by type (flats, boots, wedges, heels; dresses, cardigans, camisoles, etc.), and then by color.  That's what works for me.  It may take a few failed systems to figure out what works for you.

Step 4 - Shop!

Pick out a few objects you really like and pair them with things you don't wear often.  Create outfits that you've never even thought about before.  Experiment with pattern, color and texture mixing.  There is no wrong or right!  Get creative!





With your new closet, it will feel similar to shopping since it's now aesthetically pleasing.  I mean, would you rather shop at a clean, neat store or a messy store with clothes on the floor and broken hangers snagging your sweaters?  Your closet is where you start your day.  It should make you feel confident and beautiful, not messy and stressed.

Some extra closet organizing tips:
  • Use baskets!  We have baskets for hats, handbags, scarves and belts, and even socks in order to free up limited drawer space.  The large basket/hamper at the underneath the shelf is full of sandals and flip-flops.
  • You can save room by turning one shoe the opposite direction.
  • Keep your jewelry in your closet so you can see it against your clothes.
  • Buy shoe shelves.  We have three underneath my side of the closet.  You can buy them from Wal-Mart or Target for $10-15 depending on size.  They are easy to put together and even stackable.
  • No wire hangers!!!!  We can't afford fancy wooden hangers, so we use black plastic.  Using the same kind of hanger makes your closet look neater, even when it's not.  Make sure they're all facing the same way and not tangled together.  Remove all broken and unused hangers.  Have a designated spot (ours is at the back of our closet) for unused hangers.
  • If you don't have wood chips or sachets to freshen the smell in your closet, attach a dryer sheet to the wall behind your clothes. (I prefer dryer sheets over wood chips or sachets.)
  • Move your clothes around often to get a new shopping experience.
  • Here are some options for your "not my closet" pile - revamp or use for crafts, sell to a place like Plato's Closet, donate.
I'm interested to see what your "new" closets and "new outfits" look for!  Share below in the comments!  Also, if you're really puzzled on how to make your closet work and how to maximize storage, post or email a photo, and I'd be happy to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment