Monday, January 16, 2012

Just a t-shirt and jeans...

We all have ugly clothes we are kind of embarrassed to admit we own.  There may even be times when we wear these unflattering, ill-fitting, ugly clothes out of the house.  Why?  Because they're...comfortable!  I can't seem to throw away a grey t-shirt that has a cowboy roping cattle on it.  I am the furthest thing from a cowgirl and have had the shirt close to 10 years.  It's my favorite sleeping shirt simply because it's sooo comfortable!

Everyone likes to be comfortable, and I refuse to let people continue to think you can't be cute and comfortable at the same time.  Usually, we have to choose one or the other.  (See: Shoes.)  I don't want my hips to look big just because the clothes or soft.  I don't want my butt to look wide and flat just because I want to wear "lazy" jeans.  I hate this "cute or comfortable" way of thinking!  Why can't it be both!?

Another great thing to this "just a t-shirt and jeans" look is it can be as budget friendly or splurg-a-licious as you'd like.  Since I'm a budget girl, I like to buy things I can wear no matter the season or reason.  I like things I can wear to a summer bar-b-que or a cold day at the office.  And we all know t-shirts are essential in the Texas heat, so they're a great option.  But a t-shirt to the office?  Umm...yes. :)

I bought this t-shirt from Cato.  I almost put it back because I thought the blue might be too bright.  But, it was flattering and comfortable (gasp!) and I don't own anything this color.  Tip: A bold color or print makes a great t-shirt that can be worn for multiple occasions.  It automatically makes your ordinary t-shirt a little more special.

Work:





Camisole: Charlotte Russe
Jeans: Old Navy
Shoes: Missoni for Target (only $11!)
Necklace: gift from Mom
Elephant Ring: Maurice's
Glasses: RayBan (prescription)

My job doesn't really have a dress code.  I could wear my pajamas or an evening gown and it would be okay...strange, but okay.  For those offices that require a little more professional appearance, you could easily switch the jeans with some slacks.  I added the camisole underneath to dress it up a tad.  For colder days, you could just ad a neutral cardigan or blazer.  Tip:  Trouser jeans in a dark wash can be as comfortable as lazy jeans, fit almost every body shape perfectly (think slim hips, nice butt, flat tummy) and instantly look dressier than other jeans.

Casual:


Jeans: Target
Shoes: Payless (only $10!)
Ring: Hannah D's
Necklace: umm...Cato, maybe?  A million years ago...

It's easy to wear t-shirts to the grocery store, but like I said, this bright color and ruching on the side is a great upgrade from my Corpus Christi Hooks t-shirt with the stain on it...  I paired it with some slip on tennies and simple accessories.  I cuffed the pants because I love that look for a casual outfit.

Night Out:





Cardigan: Ross
Jeans:  Old Navy
Booties:  Ross
Clutch:  A little stand at the VF Outlet Mall several years ago
Necklace: Old Navy
Ring: Charlotte Russe

Most night out outfits are far too dressy or far too trashy for the type of dates Jonathan and I go on.  We like to look nice, but booty shorts, sky high heels, and a see-through sequin top is not my style.  Neither is a long evening gown or bright red cocktail dress.  We go to dinner downtown or to the movies.  (Bowling, roller skating and bingo are next on our date night list.)  Anyway, this is the type of night out outfits I would wear on a date.  I dressed the t-shirt up with a lace-back cardigan, super sexy black peep-toe booties with silver studs, a cute clutch, and my favorite necklace and cocktail ring.  In the summer, I plan on wearing this shirt with some leather shorts like these with some gladiator sandals...I'm so ready for summer.

Jonathan often says to me before we go anywhere, "Sorry I'm not dressed up."  I always reply, "I'm just wearing a t-shirt and jeans."  And, it's true. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment