Sunday, January 29, 2012

Small Kitchen Fire...

It's not the first time, and sadly, probably not the last.  This just proves to everyone that I am not a cook.  I try...sometimes I succeed, sometimes I catch the stove on fire.  Just so you  know, the fire was small.  The flames only covered about a quarter of the burner...it was very small.

Thank goodness I have Jonathan - the calm rational one in "emergencies."  In retrospect, I may have overreacted.  I mean pacing quickly in the kitchen shouting to myself what to do when a pot boils over and the burner catches on fire probably wasn't the best solution.  Jonathan calmly stood back and let me freak out.

"Oh!  Salt!"

Like I said, this is not the first time this has happened.  The first time it happened, I went to work the next day traumatized.  My co-worker told me to pour salt on it.  The next time we had a fire, I poured salt...a lot of salt...as in I took the big container of salt you would use to refill your shaker and dumped it on the stove until the flames stopped.  This may only work with grease fires...I don't know.  But I didn't want that mess again, so I took the shaker and I shook my little heart out.

The flames got smaller but were still there.  I start pacing again.  What do I do, what do I do???  As I was about to reach for the fire extinguisher, Jonathan calmly takes a measuring cup and walks to the sink, gets less than a cup of water, walks back to the stove, pours, and the crisis is over.

Now, I have to clean up my salt mess.  (Just so you know, this picture does not do it justice.  It doesn't show the mess on the other side of the burner and a lot of the salt turned black.)

No comments:

Post a Comment