Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Office Space

As many of you may know, a few months ago, I started a new job where I have the opportunity to work at home part-time.  The rest of the time, I go to the office where, up until yesterday when I got my own desk and office space, I shared an office with my boss.  I would often look over to see the stacks of paper work, the myriad of post-its, and the drawers that wouldn't close.  But, when you're running your own company, traveling in and out of the country, and dealing with every issue that arises, it's understandable.

When my boss jokingly suggested that I organize his desk, I excitedly said "Yes, please, oh please!"  (I'm such a dork when it comes to organizing.)  So, the next day, I got started!  Note:  I think his desk still looks a little cluttered, but when you're touching all of your bosses stuff, you don't want to be responsible for the company collapsing.  So, I left some things there, but I did what I could.

*****





All of the paperwork removed from his desk and sorted.
I got to thinking...I know a lot of people probably don't have the time, energy, or know-how to organize their office space.  Your office is where work is done (or should be...).  It reflects who you are as a professional.  It should look good!  Here are the tips I used for my boss' office and my home office/area.  Where do you start?
My special post-it place, important stuff place, and paperclips in their own space.


I want a book shelf to put my file box and printer.

My keyboard tray
  • Start with one section at a time.  I have the habit of working on one section, but I'll take a paperclip to another area and then start working there.  Don't do that!  That's hard!  Focus on one section at a time! That way, if you have to stop and do something else, it's a controlled mess...not total chaos.
  • Throw away anything you don't need!  If you look through a stack of papers and forgot you had something, it obviously did not affect you enough for you to keep it.  TRASH IT!
  • File anything you need.  This also applies to computer documents.  Sort through all your paper work, creating stacks that are separated by type (bill, tax info, contact info, etc.).  If you do this as you sort through it, it will make it so much easier to throw in file folders when you're done.
  • Check your mail as soon as you get it!  Ugh, built up stacks of mail are the worst!  I find it easier and less overwhelming to deal with 2 bills at a time, rather than 15 at a time later.  What a way to ruin a day!
  • Dedicate a special spot for important stuff.  Don't just let it sit there and build up!  Set it there, and deal with it as soon as you can!
  • Control the post-its!  I admit, I'm slightly addicted to note pads of all sorts.  When you're done with a post-it, throw it away.  If you absolutely need the 15 post-its, organize them in a stack or arrange them in an organized way, then throw them away when you're done.  If you use that many post-its in a day, consider switching to a larger notepad to reduce waste and clutter.
  • Create a system that works for you.  This is something that someone can't really do for you.  You have to know what will work for you.  Some options are scanning files into the computer, have files easily accessible if you use them often, keep a personal drawer that only holds non-work related items (personal bills, snacks, etc.), and so on.
  • Just because the store label calls it something, doesn't mean you have to.  I have a keyboard tray on my desk but no keyboard...so do I just leave it empty?  Uh, no.  It holds notepads, tape, stapler, etc.  Use small bowls or food containers to hold paperclips, rubber bands, etc..  I like these (found in the baby section of Dollar Tree for $1 for a 4-pack) and these.
  • Why is blank paper less important than the files you just filed?  Put it up, people!  At home, I keep it in my file box in it's own file.  At work, I keep it in a desk drawer in front of files.
  • Do you really need 17 pens that don't work?

No comments:

Post a Comment