Thursday, January 5, 2012

Five on Five

Have you ever thought of a mind blowing invention and thought to yourself, "Oh, if only I could buy that somewhere..."  I do that all the time!  Anything from a sweater to storage containers.  Usually, I look for a ridiculous amount of time until I find something extremely similar to it, I make it myself, or I buy something somewhat similar and rig it so it works the way I see it working in my head.  Lots of times, if I find something I really think is genius, it's way too expensive, making it much less genius.  And when I get an idea in my head and see it working so perfectly, I refuse to settle on anything less (and also to pay an obscene amount of money for it).

My point is, in every person's life comes a time when they fall in love.  Even if you haven't found your Mr./Mrs. Right, you may have found your Mr./Mrs. I Can't Believe How Lucky I Am To Own Such An Amazing Product.  So, since it's the 5th day of the month, I thought I would feature 5 of my very favorite items.  My husband is one, but he doesn't count.  That's a given, and I don't want to waste a coveted spot on obvious facts. :) (P.S. I am NOT paid by any company to review any products.  These are just my personal opinions.)

5.  TRESemmé Fresh Start Dry Shampoo

I have short, fine, thin, hair.  Ugh.  Ugh.  Ugh.  This means, my hair feels and looks dirty if I don't wash it everyday.  I found myself washing, blow drying, and straightening my hair almost daily.  When I do this, my hair gets very dry and brittle.  Now, I can go a day with out washing, blow drying, and if I'm lucky, re-straightening.  I just separate my hair in layers, spray the dry shampoo at the roots, rub it in a little, and done.  Some dry shampoo leaves white flakes, but TRESemmé dries quickly and leaves very little residue.  My hair sometimes looks better than it does after being freshly washed.  It's great for rushed mornings, lazy days, and just keeping my hair healthy.




4.  Maybelline 24-Hour SuperStay Concealer

"Thin skin" runs in my family.  I'd never heard that term before my mom said, "Sorry babe, thin skin runs in the family."  You can see every vein in my arms, legs, and I even have what I refer to as a Kool-Aid smile.  I have two large green veins that run along either side of my mouth.  *Sigh*  I've learned to deal with these things, but I hate people asking me if I'm tired or sick when they see me with out makeup; I'm 21 and have the worst dark circles under my eyes you'll ever see in your life.  I have tried every single kind of concealer there is at every price point, but nothing ever covered them up, made them look natural, or lasted all day.  Alas, I found Maybelline 24-Hour SuperStay, and imagine my surprise when it worked better than those expensive concealers I'd been trying!  It covers perfectly and actually does last all day long, even after hours outside in the Texas heat!  I also use Maybelline 24-Hour SuperStay Foundation.  (I made a note to check my concealer 12 hours and 1 Jillian Michaels workout later, and it was still there!  I wanted to post a picture but I figured one awful picture was enough in one post.)



3.  Heel Grips

Most of the time, I wear a size 9 3/4 size shoe.  What?  You don't carry that size?  But the 9.5 is too small and the 10 is too big?  I guess I'll just wear flip-flops for the rest of my days.  Umm, no!  If you have a narrow ankle or are like me and in between two sizes, when you purchase a new pair of shoes, grab a pair of heel grips!  Peel away the backside, and apply the adhesive side to the a back of the shoes.  They keep your shoes from popping off the back of your heel!  Amazing, right?  I didn't know people didn't know about these things until I explained it to multiple strangers at a shoe store.  They sell them at most shoe stores, and I usually pay about $2/pair.  (Beware!  Target sells them for $6/pair!  Payless has them for $1.79-$3!)



2.  Babyliss Pro

RIP, dear Chi.  I was given my Chi by an ex-boyfriend when I was 16...about 5 years ago!  Let's just say the Chi lasted a whole lot longer than that relationship. :)  My Chi actually still works, but considering I've dropped the cord so many times, the plastic plug-in part (don't know what that's called) has broken and has exposed wires.  I finally decided that it's probably a fire hazard (and it's shocked me once before...) and shouldn't use it anymore...at least until we get renter's insurance.  Times have changed in the flat iron world since I was 16.  I knew a new flat iron (of good quality that would last just as long) would cost some money.  But, some diligent price comparing landed me this Babyliss flat-iron from Amazon for only $36 (compared to the $80 list price).  I knew of the brand because my sister has a Babyliss, but a more expensive model.  I was a little skeptical.  Would it be like the $12 straighteners that ruin my hair?  Would it even straighten it?  Well, today, I tried it for the first time and my hair is as straight and as shiny as it is with the Chi!  And for a fraction of the price!  :)  The "after" image showing the concealer also shows my hair straightened with this straightener.

1.  Hem Gems

If you've been around me in the last two weeks, I apologize for my obnoxious brand marketing.  I am just completely smitten.  Similar to the shoe situation, my short legs cause problems.  Short jeans are too short, and regular fit drags the ground by a good inch and a half (or more!).  Tailoring is a simple, yet permanent, solution.  What if I decide I want to wear them with heels?  Do I need two sets of pants?  One set for flats, the others for heels.  Then I discovered these little gems via adoredaustin.com (a fabulous blogger who inspires me).  They are similar to earrings.  They have a front stud, post, and backing that completely covers post.  Fold your pants to the appropriate length, pin, and done!  When you're ready to wear them with heels, just take them out, and long pants!  Only $20 for a set of 8 (you need 4 pins for each leg).  I got these for Christmas, but I plan on buying more.

There you go...those are my five on five.  What are some of your favorite products?

No comments:

Post a Comment