Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Craving Summer? - Banana Split Pie

The holidays are over.  As sad as that is, I'm already ready for spring/summer.  I've already found the perfect swimsuit and I have several summer style inspirations on my boards.  The 70 degree weather today only made me crave it even more!

I remember the summer when I was 16...I made a lot of banana splits at Caleb's Diner.  Here is an awesome way to get that banana split, summertime feel.

Banana Split Pie

You will need:

  • Graham cracker crust (or you can make one with one sleeve of graham crackers mixed with one stick of butter)
  • Cool Whip (1 cup for filling, as much as you want for topping)
  • Cream Cheese (1 package)
  • Powdered Sugar (1cup)
  • Fresh Strawberries (I used about half of the carton shown)
  • Bananas (I used two)
  • Crushed Pineapple (1 can)
  • Pecans (optional topping)
  • Cherries (optional topping)
*You can substitute whatever fruit you want.  You can use a little or as much fruit you want.  I used enough to make one single layer of each fruit that covers the entire pie.


Mix 1 cup of cool whip, 1 cup of powdered sugar, and one package of softened cream cheese.






















Slice your fruit and layer it with your mixture - crust, filling, strawberries, filling, bananas, filling, pineapple.  If you don't have enough, or if you don't want to have that much filling, only put the filling at the bottom and pile on your fruit.



Top with cool whip, cherries, and pecans (or whatever else you want).  Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate.  Tip:  Stick toothpicks in your pie so that the top half of the toothpick is exposed.  Place the saran wrap over the pie, and the toothpicks will keep the plastic wrap from squishing your pie!

So yummy!  Maybe this will tide us over until summer comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment